Last updated: 19th-March-2020
We know that you’re reading a lot of communications on this topic. We’re sure you’ll understand that, now more than ever, the safety of SMC’s clients, colleagues and employees is our primary concern.
- We‘re working to maintain our high levels of customer service during these changing times. We have reviewed our health & safety and other operating procedures to take account of Government and WHO advice and they are being modified whenever that changes to ensure that we are continuing to adopt best practice;
- We are providing our colleagues at SMC with regular updates, including requirements regarding personal hygiene and social distancing.
- We are ensuring that our employees are aware of the symptoms of COVID-19. All employees have been advised to self-isolate if they suspect that they have such symptoms and are not to return to work for at least 7 days, in accordance with NHSE advice. Thus far, no SMC employees have developed any such symptoms.
- Anyone returning from overseas travel from a high-risk area has been asked to self-isolate for 14 days, regardless of whether they are displaying any symptoms. We have no employees to whom this still applies and, due to current travel and working restrictions, we don’t anticipate that this will resurface as an issue for us.
- We have robust hygiene measures in place, including daily cleaning of surfaces, equipment and door handles at our premises; and have provided cleaning materials for company vehicles. We have provided alcohol-based hand rub for all field-based colleagues as well as in our office.
- Our offices at Pepys Court remain open for business and will do so unless advice changes. However, we have implemented a well-established set of remote working procedures for our office-based employees. We have excellent IT systems to support this operating regime, securely and robustly, which allows us to minimise the number of SMC employees working there at any one time. At least two members of the senior management team will be present on any working day.
- Our aftercare desk and 24 hour maintenance lines continue in full operation. Our systems allow our aftercare team to work remotely and users of this service should experience no significant change.
- Wherever possible we’ll arrange for meetings to take place using conferencing tools, rather than face-to-face. When attending meetings, SMC staff are abiding by social distancing recommendations and respect the now widely-adopted approach of avoiding handshakes.
- If we’re working with you in your home, office or on a building site managed by you, we should be grateful if you could let us know, prior to us attending:
- Whether anyone with whom we are expected to meet or have contact with has current symptoms of the coronavirus, or has come into contact with someone who has, or has returned from overseas travel within the previous 14 days; and
- Any special measures that you have adopted and that you’d like us to consider prior to our attendance
- We are asking our staff to comply with rigorous working practices during this time, to help limit the spread of the coronavirus and we would ask for your understanding and cooperation in helping us enforce this, in particular, by making hand washing facilities available to visitors when requested.
We’re pleased to say that our UK-based business is not experiencing any substantial disruption at present and we are working hard to ensure that we remain able to provide the best possible service. Where there are likely to be changes to our normal service we’ll let you know as soon as we can.
Our warmest wishes to you and your families during this challenging time.
S M Contracts Limited
84 The Chase
London SW4 0NF